Saturday, December 7, 2013

from the table... TO HIS TABLE

One of my greatest pleasures in life is cooking a meal in my little kitchen and seeing my family and friends enjoy. I remember as a little girl spending time in my grandmother's kitchen learning to make rice and beans. Of course there was no food network back then and my Abuelita (grandmother) didn't measure a thing. She would say "you put a little of this and a little of that and a whole lot of love into it." It was there at her table I learned what it meant to be hospitable and generous. We would eat to sound of beautiful ballads playing in the background as she told me the stories of yesteryear. 

Not only was my grandmother's kitchen a place of love so was my mother's. I am convinced that on the great day of the Lord my  mother will fully come to understand how many lives were touched by her love meals. Many times I asked myself why did she make so much food, there were only four of us in the house. Looking back she would make enough for anyone who would "happen to stop by." It was and still is her language of love. 

 Much of my life formation was done around a table. When I started dating my husband I was invited to their home for lunch after church. It was there, a very different type of meal was offered. Yes, there was food but I learned much about the scriptures, the move of the Spirit of God, to love and serve God with all my being. Their table though designed to satisfy natural hunger truly satisfied my spiritual need. 

What do these two tables have in common? Fast forward twenty years,  I looked in my kitchen as I was preparing our Thanksgiving meal and felt lead to set a different table for my guests. I decided we would first  partake of the table of the LORD. There we gathered in family to experience the sacred communal reality of communion. 

Just as my grandmother,mother and mother in-law demonstrated their hospitality at the table, so we came to the table of the Lord to bear witness as one family, of the radical hospitality of Jesus. During this act of worship, our attention was focused on HIM who was present in our midst as we gave Him thanks. As we partook I realized we were renacting an ancient play that will be seen once again in the marriage supper of the Lamb. 

As we celebrate the Christmas season there will be many beautiful tables set but none more loving and life changing then the table of the LORD.


Peace,
Jeannette









No comments:

Post a Comment