Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Hijackers, tolerance, the grim reaper…………


 
Death has been given the name grim reaper and it is usually illustrated as a skeletal figure clothed in black.   So many times I have asked myself if we could see beyond the veil of the physical world into the spiritual world would we be more alert to the true intentions of this ominous threat.

Have you noticed that some of the most intolerant people are those who shout the loudest for tolerance? As Christ followers we need to be aware that the grim reaper is out and about hijacking what is ours. In this world of political correctness it seems that tolerance is defined as a total rejection of moral standards and of all which is Judeo-Christian.  This modern tolerance redefines words like marriage, equality, absolute truth, judgment, love and even Christianity.

In the past month I have had several conversations where the topic of Islam was central and I highlighted the injustices towards women and Christians throughout the Islamic world. I am always perplexed by the flawed logic that is applied to these conversations all in the name of love and tolerance.  They sounded something like this:

                    Jeannette
                          
Muslim women are being mistreated and Christians are getting tortured in Islamic countries………

                   John Doe (response)

Jeannette, don’t you know Muslims are getting saved by the thousands? I know Muslims and I don’t believe we should talk about Islam. I believe the battle will be won without talking about these issues.


Jeannette

My thought, is my speaking the truth truly going to hinder a Muslims salvation. I rejoice when I hear testimonies of Muslims getting saved but one issue has nothing to do with the other.  This blurred view of reality is what is concerning. When we no longer can call out evil and when truth is being hijacked in the name of secular tolerance the grim reaper gains ground.

As I was mediating on these conversations I remembered an interview I was watching where someone asked Dr. Ravi Zacharias to define the word evil.  Dr. Zacharias went on to say “Evil is ultimately that which violates the purposes of God for life and for living with each other.”


Should we not speak against that which violates God’s purpose? Why is it social justice when we talk about sex trafficking, clean water, and curing malaria. Shouldn’t the same logic be applied to every injustice?

Our culture is doing what scripture said- it’s getting worse and worse. The Bible gives us instructions on how we should live. We are to keep standing for righteousness knowing that it will mean enmity with the world. Always, remembering that death has lost its sting……………

No comments:

Post a Comment